- Raise the standard of music teaching in the community, and dignity of our profession.
- Recommend, protect and support those teachers who have qualified for membership.
- Stimulate interest in music and musicians in the community and work harmoniously with other teachers.
- Promote the exchange of constructive ideas, and cultivate positive fraternal relations among members of SMTA and other organizations.
- Promote music appreciation in our community through recitals and performances by students and teachers, other special artist concerts, lectures on musical topics, and other activities to increase awareness of the importance of music and music education for all people of all ages.
- Accumulate resources to aid talented students who may need financial assistance. Use these resources also to present programs for professional and civic groups.
- Cooperate with other musical organizations, to improve our music outreach in and beyond our community.
- Conduct master classes, study groups, and other activities for benefit of our members and students musical and artistic growth.
- Support State, Division, and National Association in their efforts to enlarge our musical borders.